Friday 17 January 2014

Meet the Best man for the Job Best Okoduwa

Meet the Best man for the Job Best Okoduwa



Just 20 minutes with Best Okoduwa and you know you've met a resilient and passionate Director whose eyes are set on the prize. His raw and undeterred passion despite all odds, definitely make you want to juice out some of his inspiration. I did just that in this interview with best. Read up his exciting interview.

You are a publicist, director, script writer and a director. Had you always wanted to be in the arts?
Publicity, PR was what introduced me into the entertainment Scene way back; started as a lower subordinate to the Main Publicist at The AMEN awards 2004. Always been a writer from high school... Started writing plays for school and church and amazingly my first Drama script ever was what I later transformed to the now famous series on TV KARMA... I fell in love with directing; I love the creative turns; the beauty of bringing abstract visuals to Live and most importantly; I have been on many film sets and wasn't quite thrill as to how the directors interprete my script and nothing can be done because in the end the Director is Omega! Hence I decided to create a platform for me that will see me do my thing and of course differently; and Boom! That ambition that made me a film director now flamed up!


You must be Superman! How do you manage to throw all these into a nice juggle?
Well a couple of friends tease me with the saying; JACK OF ALL; MASTER OF ALL. For me I think it was a discovery process; started with the opportunity I got (publicist) to be where I wanna be (Entertainment) and slowly I began to develop all my other talents and make use of them in harmony to achieve one goal! and Frankly I've quite a CV for all these  branches of my career


What's the biggest challenge of being Best Okoduwa?
The biggest Challenge being Best Okoduwa is Being Best Okoduwa...trust me if I start on this I'll end up with a massive Script.


You have been working on a lot recently including bad brilliance. Tell us about bad brilliance
Bad Brilliance was my first selfless project. It’s a youth empowerment project which aims at educating the Nigerian youth about the danger of computer fraud and related vices (Scam) on a broadscale, persuade them to desist from it and channel that equal energy, sometimes less into positive hustle.  Bad Brilliance also aims at repositioning Nigeria's international image; We are not Fraud; they need to hear it from us and one of the many contents and tools I'm using to drive this initiative is BAD BRILLIANCE; The Series; an interesting one that will start airing February 2014.


"Karma", "Yes I don’t", it's getting hard to keep track. What else have you been working on?
Karma is a TV Series too whose spot light is on the typical young adults and conventional vices/crime as its affects an entire Family system. I scripted and directed. Now airing on TV. As at the time of this interview I'm filming the Season3. YES I DON'T is a Feature Length Movie I scripted and directed; a small bit shot in Sierra-Leone. This project features Van Vicker, Judith Audu, Ireti Osayemi, Obiwon, Lord Frank and more; should be hitting cinemas sometime in 2014. I'm presently working on a Feature Length Film with my UK based Producer Friend Dami-Ann; a Romantic Comedy you should look out for.


 You have a project that took you to Sierra Leone for over a month. What project was that and when should we expect to see it?
Yes Sierra-Leone was for the SWITCH project; a feature length film that tells domestic violence from a unique angle. Features; Yemi Blaq, Ufoma Ejenobor, Kiera Hewatch, Lord Frank and several A-list Sierra-Leonean actors.  I also scripted and Directed Switch.


The Nigerian movie industry is definitely growing but still has reservations by critics. What's your take on this? 
Is there any Progressive process without both constructive and Destructive Criticism? I Identify with Nollywood; this industry is a gift to Nigeria and I very much acknowledge the huge growth within the last 5yrs

What's the greatest satisfaction in doing what you do?
Great satisfaction from the feeling of approaching fulfillment. Living and working my Passion

So, if you got offered a job in Shell that pays over a million every month, would you quit directing?
Frankly: I can't quit directing. Extreme case; will take a break to go amass the budget for several film projects and it won't take very long before I'm back to my first Love.

A lot of directors complain about actors being too demanding, unruly and "divasome" on set. How do you handle these?

Hmm, not entirely wrong but thus far building friendship bond with them whether temporarily or long-lasting, ensuring I pay attention to their ideas and contribution even when I'm not buying it has worked thus far; but if otherwise case I know I can handle any situation

What's the big picture for Best?
When we start talking most Influential film maker in the world; when we start talking intercontinental Investments and establishments then we are talking the Big Picture for Best Okoduwa

Biggest turn on?

Fear and Love for God; Purpose-Driven. Tenacity


Biggest turn off?
Pride, Lies, "BlockHead"


Description of your ideal woman
My ideal Woman is PRETTY in my eyes especially; doesn't have to appear so to the rest of the world; GOD FEARING, DOMESTICATED, FAITHFUL/LOYAL, INTELLIGENT; A woman with Many Flaws; but LOVE-able (By Me).


What's your inspiration? 
Inspiration is GOD; my Background (whenever I look back I don't want to stop), my Dreams (Whenever I Look ahead; I fire ON).




6 comments:

  1. One word, Awesome!
    We should have more of his likes in our nigerian society,coming up with brilliant ideas on how to efface the ill nigerian reputation in the outside world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He is an Amazing person nd he's obviously going to go places..God first as always.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kudoo to u bro. We bliv in u. Kip on the good wrksand God will see u thru... Toyincash

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kudos Best, this is just the beginning!! Looking out for more greatness from you..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Right in Your Face....Young talented direktA...BestUp Bro

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow. im so inspired.

    ReplyDelete