Monday 14 April 2014

Feel the Music: Uber Dancer Celine Opuwari Tells us Just How

If there is one ability I wish I had, it is to dance and I mean really dance! This will explain why I stalked this Maltina Dance All Season 2 winner till I got an interview. When Celine is on the floor, it’s like fire on the dance floor but even more fascinating is how she can in one swift move switch from being fire to a swan …now that’s a true dancer. There’s no stopping Celine; find out what she’s been up to.


The first time you hit our screens was with your amazing family at the Maltina Dance All Season 2 which you won. Is it okay to say dancing for you is genetic?

(Laughs) to be frank it is, I know it's a cliche for everyone to say "I started dancing since I was five" or it runs in my family but trust me I remember when I started I was little and in Nursery school, I got that groove from my dad and mum and my eldest sister even though some of my family members can't really dance.

What have you been up to since after Maltina dance all?

After I won I decided to improve my skills so I went to Society For the Performing Arts in Nigeria-SPAN where I trained for 2 years and I started working as an instructor and now I am in Charge of the Dance Academy. I got certified in Latin and Ballroom (American style) actually the first female in Nigeria and now I have gotten both Bronze and Silver in International style. I am hoping to get up to Gold and become an examiner/judge in that field. I've been training tirelessly in and outside Nigeria to become a teacher a better dancer/performer and alongside a choreographer.  


I wish I could dance! You're so awesome! How do you do it??

I just feel the music from within and allow my body to move! I get lost in it.  I'm very expressive so that's where I unleash my whole being! You can call it my happiest moment. So it's natural.

What do you think about Nigeria's dance industry?

It's growing and I am so happy, people/organizations are becoming more supportive and interested. We just need more exposure because there are still some misconception about dance which I believe will be addressed! As dancers we need to set the record straight for the next generation, get good training and develop our natural skills.

Who are some of the dancers you admire locally and internationally?

I admire Ice Nweke, Buddy Agedah, Ikem Ohia, Cyril Nwosa, Michael Oseghale, Chukwuma Onye, Michael Omani, Peter James, Dayo Liadi, Frank Konwea, Anthony Offiong, Uche Onah, Wisdom Ojije, Lovette Otegbola, Kaffy, Lilian Yeri for Nigerians.  Foreign dancers: Sarah Boulos, Diane Jarmolow, Joanna Leunis and Michael Malitowski, Karina Smirnoff, yulia Zagoruychenko, Ina Nalbandian, Derek Hough, Izabella Lewandowski, Bree Watson, Chelsea Hightower, Tytus Bergstrom and Li Wen Ang etc my list is endless but these are a few....




Tell us about your dance school and the services you offer

We are actually at 1 Abuja street off first avenue, Banana Island Ikoyi, but will soon move to our community centre in Lagos Island. we offer a variety of classes; Music and dance both professionally and socially and Drama.

What are some of the shows you've been opportune to grace locally and internationally?

I performed in UBA CEO awards with ik Osakioduwa, Nollywood awards, Omawumi's album launch, CoolFm Praise Jam, Maltina DanceAll Finale, YA Salsa congress in Michigan, Nite of Salseros in Ghana, International World Dance day in Abuja, Eye of the Tiger; a stage production by Dance and Art Alive, Love is the show; stage production by I-Xtreme, Practice Night in Beirut, Lebanon, DARC Festival in France, Dance Mastery Camp in Las Vegas.... these and much more that I can’t remember. 




 How do you unwind?


Believe me it’s really funny, I love animation a lot, so I just sit and watch my favorite animation series like Naruto, One Piece.... i am actually laughing. Since i don't have time to really hangout as much I want but you know when I travel to Port Harcourt or outside the country I sleep a lot and shop too.

Apart from being a professional dancer, have you got any other interests?

Oh yes, I love pictures even though I didn't get the chance to model but I’m looking at doing that and also acting and presenting which is my second love.

Have you ever had an embarrassing moment while dancing?  

Oh yeah, I actually missed my steps.. lol. It happens though but trust me it hurts when you are actually the lead.


Some people can dance and some just can't! What's the trick?

 It’s a gift, while some are blessed with it naturally others are not. They actually have to work a lot to get there. On the other hand it’s a thing of the mind. If you believe you can, then you can.

Is your super fit figure owed to your dancing?

Not totally, we are blessed with that in my family, dance enhances it.



What is your inspiration?

God and the young ones coming up.

How can we stalk you on social media?

Ukalina Celine Opuwari for Facebook; @chakrapink for both Twitter and Instagram.


5 comments:

  1. She's so believable on and off stage,she has a "Merde" charm (goodluck charm) which is her smiles....Go UK!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very true and an inspiration and teacher to so many dancers, she makes it seem effortless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very true and an inspiration and teacher to so many dancers, she makes it seem effortless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yeah. she is da BOMB...been fantastic since our university days..keep it real...there is no blockage ...we re proud of you...shalom

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love her. been a fan since Maltina Dance All2. Her smile and spirit is everything. She's truly an inspiration. Bless you girl.

    ReplyDelete