Sunday 23 February 2014

Pencils and Stethoscopes: Meet Charles Nwishienyi

When I first met Charles Nwishienyi, it was obvious he was up to something great. It puzzled me though, how someone that great with the pencil would fancy the stethoscope; yes he was studying veterinary medicine.
I thought by the time the stress of UNN drowned him, he was going to forget how to draw but even now a certified vet doctor, I am still blown away by every drawing he creates. Now, this is what I call creativity. I decided to have a chat with Charles. Meet Charles Nwishienyi the founder of The Impala Artitude. Support Nigerian creativity!

When did you start drawing?         
I pretty much started drawing as a kid with drawings of chairs and trees as homework. Secondary school saw me graduate to still life drawing and abstract paintings. Portraits came up much later in 2009, my 200 level in the university.                                                   

Why pencil?                                         
Some of my friends believe I should abandon pencil portraits for oil paintings (that is where the money is-they say). I can easily combine both, but I always feel rewarded when clients smile in awe at the transformation of their coloured photographs into lovely pencil drawn replicas. A client was so impressed, she suspected I photocopied her picture and framed it. She didn't believe I could make such a beautiful work with “just ordinary pencil.” For me, pencil portraits are less stressful, can be drawn almost anywhere and packed up easily. I love to imagine how people will look in
black and white.         

How long does it take you to draw a face?                             
I'd say it depends-on how soon the client needs the portrait, but I love to take my time. My record time for completing a portrait from scratch to framing is 6 hours, and about half of the time was spent on the face I was given the picture in the evening and the client expected it ready the next day! It turned out awesome. Other times, it could take me hours or days...so, it depends.                                                     

I bet you studied fine arts in school?                                   
No. I studied Veterinary Medicine in UNN. I am a Doctor of Veterinary Medicine.                             
Why not?                                             
Okay, I was taught fine arts in JSS1-JSS3-like most other people. After that brief spell I chose to become a science student in the senior classes. From SSS1, I kept practicing on my own on a do-it-yourself basis. 5 years later (2009), I was bold enough to draw a portrait. Vivian, my course mate bought it. I was spurred by the confidence instilled by her patronage and support from friends, family and course mates. I would usually bring my portraits to hang in the class for all to see. So I combined my arts with veterinary medicine and excelled at both. I successfully killed two birds with a stone.                 

What is your favourite drawing ever?   
Wow, big question. When I started on portraits, I was scared of using darker shades because I was scared of obscuring the real profile. My friend, Jessica came with her picture for me to draw. It was a moonfaced silhouette photo where half of her favourites and clothes were visible while the rest blended with the dark background-as if someone was half peeping from a dark room. The whole picture was predominantly black! Naturally, I was reluctant to accept but she challenged me to see how good I was....and I was glad I did it. Her portrait gives me confidence whenever i look at it.i know i am getting better.                                   
Keywords when drawing?     
Inspiration, comfort and music (Yanni, Sade Adu).       

Vet or art? What is the big picture for you?                           
Both of course. If I survived the 6 grueling years of vet professional training and still had time to improve on my drawings in tandem without affecting my grades negatively, then I surely will not stop now. I plan to further my art career by taking formal training courses in an art school or academy. I have an art student tutoring me on oil painting. Presently, I have two students who i am helping perfect their pencil drawing skills and they are improving at a fast pace. By the grace of God, the number will increase soon as well as my clientele
base. These motivated the conception of THE IMPALA ARTITUDE. I have gotten the basic knowledge of the veterinary profession and will build up on it too. Success comes with a price of hardwork, determination and Divine favour, so I’d surely avail myself to every opportunity. In the future, portraits and artworks with my signature engraved on them will adorn the walls of homes, posh offices and numerous art galleries. The seed has been planted.                                                                









                        

18 comments:

  1. Nice! Really inspiring. Wish all young people could begin to reason more like this. Way to go Charles!

    ReplyDelete
  2. U are surely a genuis. Simply awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fine gentleman.Blessed with abundant talent.

    ReplyDelete
  4. U r going places Nwish....so proud of U

    ReplyDelete
  5. ♈εs oooo!!! Extremely talented dude.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow.....spectacular! I'm proud to say he was a year my senior in secondary school and he is a bunch of talents! You are going places doc!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So proud f u Charles, although u've refused to coach me...more grace pal

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow!! Really impressive.....you'll surely go places with such a talent

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome!! Kip it up..mor power 2 ur muscles.. Greater places awaits u..

    ReplyDelete
  10. more grease to yer helbow

    ReplyDelete
  11. I always knew u'd go places. Ds is jst d startin point. Weldone bro. Rmbr i knew wen u startd lol.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I do ask u whether Vet Dr.or Dr.in art science and u answer both.can't forget d one u made for me. my humble class rep CONGRATULATION

    ReplyDelete
  13. you're actually better than i thought! guess you saved the best drawings for last.. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  14. now i'm soooo speechlessss,nyz one dear,u're gifted!

    ReplyDelete
  15. am proud of you chaus#charlie pc#yetty

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow!!! It's been a long time really

    ReplyDelete
  17. You did not post my picture

    ReplyDelete
  18. You've always had it in you, but then you developed it and got even better. Your detailing in recent works is mind-blowing.


    Good one Dr. Charles, Impala arts

    ReplyDelete