Friday 28 February 2014

Meet the Man Behind the Strings- Clef Nite

There is something about a man who knows how to play strings and make beautiful music. Every time I listen to Clef Nite, I feel like I have discovered a treasure at the bottom of the chest. That feeling of trapping lightening in a bottle and nobody knows about it yet, that’s how I feel.
The only difference is that Clef Nite who is also P Square's guitarist is well recognized even beyond the shores of Nigeria as he conquers the world with his music one note at a time. Now that’s creativity. Meet the man behind the strings- Clef Nite.

I have always been fascinated about the guitar even though I don't know how to play it. When and how did you learn to play the guitar?

My knowledge about the guitar has been fascinating to me too. I guess I would just say I grew up playing the guitar. Can’t actually remember when exactly I started.

It could have been anything else, why music?
 I ask myself same question too, I never really saw life in doing any other else asides music. 

How did your family feel about your choice of music as a career?
At first, they were skeptical about it. They wanted to make sure it was my actual calling and as soon as they got that, they have ever been my number one fans. My music goes from them first to any other person.

How long ago did you start music?
Well, I would say all my life but I professionally started as a musician in 2000 when I got in the University of Nigeria Nsukka as a diploma student.



What would you call your kind of music?
Internationally, my style will be graded under the World Music Genre but i normally call my style Afropop.

What are some of your popular tracks?
I have one of my singles "Ntughari Ntughari" thats my favorite and everyone seems to like it. I also have a love song "Nwanyi Oma" most girls like that too.

What inspires you when you write your songs?
 Well, most of my songs are all about the human life and its consciousness. Some part of it makes my inspiration but a major part of my inspiration comes from God. He is always the first source.

Even roses have thorns. What would you say your biggest challenge as a musical talent is?
I would say one of my biggest challenges is having so many fake people around me. People that are after something else but try to make it look like the love and support you. That really hurts a lot because I trust these people to get things done and they end up messing everything up. After all, everyone looks at you like you are the cause of the problem. But we all learn every day though. It doesn't happy that often again.


You are currently studying music in Boston, Massachusetts how has that helped your music career?

I would say that has been one of the biggest landmark achievements in my life. It has really placed me in the right consciousness of my music. I think I am on the right track now and will have no excuse not be successful. 

Who are your models?
This could be a hard question sometimes because I listen to a lot of styles and I love them too. I have a lot of role models on different things or aspects in my music. Well I call people like Nneka, Joanelle Monae, Eryka Badu, P Square India Arie and so many of them.

What other musicians do you admire?
 A lot of them like Beyonce, Jill Scott, Gloria Estefan, Shakira, P Square, Tu face, Lauryn Hill, Nneka, Ayo and so many of them.


Your music is so amazing! When would you start putting yourself out there more; especially to Nigerians?

Well I know I have been delaying for sometime but the good news now is I am working with my new pr team now to extend my new single coming out soon to the Nigerian audience exclusively so very soon I will be in every body's face.

What's the big picture for Clef Nite?
Well my goal in life as a musician is to be life changer and a big source of good inspiration to the new and young generation.

Got any advice for budding artistes?
Yes, I would say this to everybody hoping to come out or debut as a musician, do not let what you see distract you from your vision in life. If you do not have a vision I think you will need to start from there first. Always ask for God's help and favor in everything you do because we can try everything to succeed but without God's grace we not moving anywhere. In as much as people do not want to believe this, our talents are like a seed we plant in ground and expect it to grow. We can do every necessary thing that needs to be done to make it grow but that doesn't mean it will grow. There are things we can't control in life like the sun and rain that will make our seeds grow it is al based on the grace of God. So if you leave his grace you are just wasting a precious life time. So stick to God he has it all.

Hobbies?
Well my hobbies differ depending on my mode but i love playing video games, watching life performances from my role models I also like cycling and driving long distances.

Inspiration?
God

Philosophy?
Put God first in everything you do and you will be super successful   

Listen to Clef Nite's Ntughari Ntughari.

No comments:

Post a Comment