Friday 17 January 2014

The Unjust Misrepresentation of Tara Episode 5

The Unjust Misrepresentation of Tara Episode 5


Written by Obi Difu @Obiokoroa4

Tale 5: First True Relationship


Tara couldn't wait for the Christmas break to come to an end. She spent most of it on the phone with Harry and not listening to her aunts and uncles telling her to speak her language even though they knew how horrible she was at it.



They exchanged text messages, and most times he made her laugh; something she wasn't sure he could do in person. But thinking about seeing him in person, brought both an uncomfortable combination of excitement and nervousness. Everyone had come to know them as a couple back in school after that incident in class. Though it wasn't official, Tara hoped he would ask her but tried her best to keep her feelings to herself.


It was a cold morning; Tara had awakened to the request of morning duties by her loving but strict aunt. She had cleaned the house, washed clothes, and was just about to head out to the market with one of her overzealous cousins when her phone rang. It was Harry! She was sure he was just checking up on her as he did every morning.


"Hey Genius"


"Hey back" Tara blushed but tried to keep her feeling in check.


"I was thinking about you all night" Harry's voice was calm.


"What about me?"


"I believe I would love a better name to tell people you are to me"


Tara knew what was coming next. She knew the answer she had prepared in her mind. She felt her heart leap with excitement and she was scared that she was going to lose her countenance and so she tried to hide her face from her cousin who had come to know Harry from reading Tara's messages and going through her phone without her knowledge.


"I want you to be my girlfriend"


"I am sorry. But that must be the most  unromantic way a guy has ever asked a girl out in the world".


"He is asking you out finally?!" Tara's cousin squealed. "And why aren't you saying yes?!"


"Do you need a microphone to shout loud enough for everyone to hear?"


Tara snapped at her cousin, who is visibly trying to hold herself and her excitement back. It seemed like the cousin's over enthusiasm had given her the ability to hold back her true emotional excitement. She took deep breaths without trying to make it obvious to her cousin that she had equally the same excitement as her.



"I think this is something we should discuss when we see in person".


"Come on Wandoo".


"I told you not to call me that Harry".


"Well I would be counting down to seeing you in person. And if you do not give me an answer right now, I would have to ask you again in front of everyone during a lecture".


"You wouldn't dare to do that".


"You know I would. Or have you forgotten how we first spoke to each other?"


Tara thought for a while about it. She did not want to tell him yes and felt it would be best for him to ask her in person. But then again she knew the kind of person Harry was and he was capable of actually asking her out in front of everyone.


At that point, she pictured how it would make Eka burn with jealousy. She felt it might have been the best possible scenario for everyone in school to know she was dating the most admired guy on campus. Then again she recalled how embarrassed she would be if he asked in the presence of everyone.


"Call me later, I am at the market".


"Listen Tara, I am either getting an answer now or I would not ask you again till we see in school".


"You are pretty stubborn you know?" Tara bickered.


"When I know what I want, I could never let go until I get it. That was how I was brought up".


"Maybe you should channel that energy to your studies".


"Maybe you should stop being a smart ass and give me an answer" Harry snapped.


"Yes" Tara said rolling her eyes in a bid to mask her excitement.


"Yes you are my girlfriend or yes you would stop being a smart ass?"


"Harry?!"


He laughed and blew her a kiss. She scuffed and looked at her cousin who was excited to hear the rest of the story. Tara thought to herself; she was in too deep. He was the first guy she was having feelings about. She wasn't sure she was ready for this. And sincerely, she didn't care!


To be continued…

No comments:

Post a Comment