Friday 6 December 2013

The Unjust Misrepresentation of Tara (Episode 2)

Written by Obi Difu @Obiokoroa4


Tale 2: It’s not About You, it’s About Me

"How could you trade your virginity for a box of valentine day chocolates?!"

Eka's words were loud and not filtered. It echoed around the girls' dormitory and just as the not mistaken theme song to the NTA 9'o clock news draws attention of parent's to the TV, Eka's words drew the whole attention of the female dorm to the conversation between herself and Tara.

"Eka are you on something?"

"This isn't going to work Tara; you can't pretend to be the Miss I-don't- care –about- boys anymore"

"Eka, I didn't lose my virginity over a box of chocolates. Where did you get that?"

Tara liked to believe herself a logical person, who tried her best to solve everything as calmly as possible; especially, with all the girls in the dorm coming towards them both.

"Ah so Miss I don't like boys was even cheaper than tom tom"

A voice from the crowd threw an unjust criticism at Tara, everyone burst into a row of mocking laughter. Eka's face was as still as steel. She wasn't giving up and Tara realized this wasn't some silly prank by Eka on everyone. Though she was a prankster, this was something she held vengefully.

"Eka, can we go somewhere and figure out what is wrong?"

"Why? If the whole boys hostel already know about you and Gbenga's hot romantic rendezvous last night, why do the girls have to be left out?"

"What?! Gbenga?! Hot romantic?!"

Tara was about to break into laughter, now she believed it was one of Eka's pranks. She was going to tell Eka that she had finally agreed to date Gbenga and that she was willing to give the whole 'romance' stuff a try because Eka had talked her into it. This was all some silly game.

"Eka! Come on! You advised me to say yes to him"

"Yes to date him not sleep with him!"

"Sorry, what?!"

"O! Miss Phonetics strikes again! This isn't time for one of your Yankee phonetics o! Better start speaking that Festac pidgin you grew up with"

"Madam Eka, I did not sleep with anyone. Even if I did how is that betraying you?"

"Because, it is not about you Tara. The world doesn't revolve around you Miss Wandoo Tara Aghedo, or should I say 'wan do'. Now that you have gone and had sex with Gbenga, I am now being threatened by Phil to either have sex with him or we will break up."

"O my Lord Eka! How naïve are you? Who can have sex in that garden behind the library?"

"She will know na! She be pro." Another girl spoke from the crowd

Tara ignored the idiotic amebo; walked closer to her best friend, tried to hold her by the shoulder but Eka shrugged her off and moved backward slowly. Eka was having a dilemma and it was all for a false rumor.

"How about we go see Gbenga and ask him to clarify this story?"

"He would lie to protect you. He told Phil and asked Phil to promise not to tell me. But Phil told me this morning; that you both did it last night"

"Look at me Eka, it's me, Tara. Just give me a chance to show you it is all a lie" Tara reasoned.

Eka was calmer, her venting and anger which clogged her sense of reasoning had diminished. Tara held her by the hands and they both walked out of the hostel together. Most of the girls dispersed, but one or two followed them, Tara didn't care, all she cared about was clearing her name.

"Eka, have you forgotten all I have told you about me?"

"I. Tara, I can't lose Phil. I am going to marry him"

"I know Eka, but you can recall I am not a virgin. I was molested as a child. I told you this a long time ago and you told me that was why I didn't believe in romance and love"

"O my, Tara, I forgot! But is that why you slept with Gbenga easily?!"

"For Christ sakes Eka I didn't sleep with that bastard! I just told him yes, I will date him"

"Hello girlfriend."

Like an answered prayer, Gbenga and Phil were before Tara and Eka, she was going to settle this, she would settle this now.

To be continued…

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to see the next episode, but sometimes, we take this too far...

    ReplyDelete