Friday 22 November 2013

What Love is not

Written by @Yomiowope
Love is not the idea that I take your
freedom in exchange for mine; it is not the
fashionable remembrance of anniversaries
and birthdays, nor is it the poolside dinner
at Smith's with live music and the smell of
fresh flowers. I will not tell you that love is
the food of the eyes at the sight of light
skin and long hair or the fodder for the
mind at the whiff of Rabanne. I will not say
that love must do for me what I did
because of it; neither will one beg
quittance of me for a deed done for love.
Is love measured by the length of a
fathers rod or the gleam of a wife's Gucci?
Is it benchmarked by a Bishop's heavy
holiness or the fiery fervency of the union
leader?
If all I have to give is the spin of my rims
or the flash of cleavage and what I have to
make an impression at home is the long
list of invoices and receipts paid over 25
years (abi is that not enough?); if I say I
love you and I expect the exact same
answer and if at the end of all things I
return sad unfulfilled discouraged, it will
likely be on account of things thought said
done with something in mind, other than
what love is.
OK so what is love then? It must be found
in the words of Gaye and Sinatra. No? OK,
maybe in government bonds, Moet and
caviar; wrong too? Ah ah, shebi we agree
that it is the same in every tribe and
tongue and if we follow sacred teachings
and religiousity we might attain it? No
still?
Let us not sink into confusion
Every heart has a desire and every life
flies a flag; different identities, diverse
hues of joy sadness euphoria depression
hate deception madness obsession peace
struggle beauty grace talent wisdom
power, all laying claim to the love of a
thing or the other.
Maybe love in its truest form is impossible
on this plain, or maybe not. It is the true
essence of it that has perhaps become
hard to describe, but easy still, to attain.
Therefore if you seek it open up to it, if
you find it hold on to it, if its yours believe
on it forever.
For when received and when givenFor when received and when given, love
ultimately never fails


Next Week: What Love Is


No comments:

Post a Comment